Scrab 2.0 is here!
See what's new

Debt to Assets

Debt to assets is a financial ratio that measures the proportion of a company's total assets that are financed by debt. It indicates how much of a company's assets are funded by borrowing, and therefore the level of financial risk that the company is exposed to.

The formula for calculating debt to assets is:

Debt to Assets Ratio = Total Debt / Total Assets


Company A has $1 million in total debt and $5 million in total assets, its debt to assets ratio would be:

Debt to Assets Ratio = Total Debt / Total Assets 

Debt to Assets Ratio = $1,000,000 / $5,000,000 

Debt to Assets Ratio = 0.20 or 20%

This means that 20% of Company A's total assets are financed by debt. The remaining 80% is funded by other sources, such as equity or retained earnings.

A high debt to assets ratio indicates that a significant portion of a company's assets are financed by debt, which can increase the company's financial risk and reduce its ability to weather economic downturns. A low debt to assets ratio indicates that a company has a larger proportion of its assets financed by equity or other sources, which can provide more financial stability and flexibility.

Debt to assets ratio can vary widely depending on the industry and the nature of a company's business. For example, capital-intensive industries such as utilities or manufacturing may have a higher debt to assets ratio due to the large investments required in plant and equipment, while service-oriented businesses may have a lower debt to assets ratio as they require less physical assets to operate.

Start your 7-day free trial

Automate your research and quickly find undervalued stocks.
Get Started →
No credit card required
Cancel anytime